Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Melbo's Stroke

Well, I would have thought after this past week of heartache, that we would be set for awhile. But, apparently not. Yesterday morning, Melbo had a stroke at her house. Here is what we know so far:

GG walked through the house about 7:30 and noticed Melbo was not in her chair, nor had she made breakfast yet. She walked through and found Melbo in her room, dressed, and confused. She had a mark on her head as if she'd fallen and she just kept saying "I don't know what happened." GG put her in bed and called Mom to tell her she thought Melbo had had a stroke. They called an ambulance who took her to Denton Presby and GG got to go inside once she was there. First, we understood that she had not had a stroke, but did have calcification on the left side of her brain. At this point, Melbo was confused but could tell you her name. There is a machine to break up this calcification but not at Presby. So they transported her to Harris Methodist in Fort Worth. GG went there and Mom went home to feed animals, close up the house at Melbo's, etc. because they left in a hurry earlier. GG never got to see Melbo at the Fort Worth hospital before she was moved again to a Stroke Center. Apparently, they decided she DID have a stroke. They got her settled and by the end of the day, Melbo was more confused and didn't know her own name. When they fed her, she ate with her fingers instead of using silverware. GG was exhausted but was planning to stay the night. Visitor hours are 8:30 am to 8:30 pm and because of COVID, only 1 visitor is allowed per 24 hours. Somehow (and I haven't heard the details yet), GG was planning to stay but then they had her leave at 11. They started telling her she needed to go at 10, but she argued for an hour. She said it took 3 big men to make her leave, but I haven't heard the details, so I'm hoping it will later be a story she laughs about. I didn't get to talk to GG at all yesterday. But, she kept mom updated. This morning, she Marco Polo'd us to tell us she had just gotten there and was waiting to see the doctor. Melbo had not wanted her to go the night before which I'm sure made things so hard and emotional for GG. Plus, GG had to drive all the way home in the dark and is not as good at driving at night anymore. The Lord took care of her.

This morning, she said that Melbo did not answer her when she asked her name (Like GG asking Melbo if Melbo knew who she was) but she did address her as Joye. She just keeps saying she doesn't understand and she doesn't know why she is there. GG showed her to us on Marco Polo and I was so sad to see her. She said "I've been here forever. And I don't know why I'm here. And I don't know what they've come for." It was so sad. So sad. Her voice was different. It was not the same voice or mind that I just saw on Sunday. She just has to get better.

I waited most of the day before Mom updated me a little bit ago. GG talked to the doctor who confirmed her stroke was on the left side which affects speech. He also said that at her age, she may not regain accurate speech in full. GG said her understanding of what people say to her is better right now. According to the doctor, the blood clot passed through a very narrow vessel. GG said she used a spoon today when she ate, so that was good. They did an echocardiogram and are awaiting the results. An occupational therapist already came in to see them. They put her back on aspirin and her cholesterol meds and other meds she is used to being on. They won't know when they can go back to Denton for rehab until the test results come in. They think she will be there at least one more night. The good news is that Melbo seems to understand the things they are telling her even though she's still confused about why she is there in the first place. She also keeps asking why Pa isn't there. She forgets that he isn't, but is sad when GG tells her that he has died. So, she is confused, but knows to be sad.

What a mess. I mean, the silver lining is that this didn't happen while Pa was hurt and sick or last week during the funeral. But, why is this happening? The past couple of years, Melbo has started forgetting things. Little things that she will forget, but nothing major. GG is always on her to work on puzzles or word searches and helps her remember stuff. GG always jokes that it's a zoo in their house between Melbo and Pa. But, I know GG prefers the zoo to anything else. I'm nervous about this whole thing. It's one thing for Pa to be gone, but another for GG to become such a full time caretaker for Melbo if Melbo's mind takes a long time to come back. And we want it to come back. Melbo is independent and can do things on her own. She took care of Pa so well. And, while Pa being gone is such a change, I really wanted and still want some good years for Melbo to still live. 90 is old and we want her to live a long life, if it's happy for her.

I just cannot believe this is happening. And happening now. I googled and strokes can be caused by all kinds of things, but those include stress. I wonder if the un-realized stress from last week took it's toll this week. I left Melbo's on Sunday like I do all the time, although Pa wasn't there. Melbo and GG were the same. I don't know what the next time will look like. We have recital this weekend and I can't go be of help anyways if Melbo is in rehab and they only allow one visitor per day. But, I do hope to get there as soon as I can to help with Melbo and see GG. GG is strong, but I worry about her because she has to shoulder so much. But, Melbo and GG are so close and GG will fight to the finish for her.

I'll update again when I know more. But, seriously, 2020 has been a tough year.

No comments:

Post a Comment